Originally from Pennsylvania, Boston became my second home when I attended Tufts University. After earning my MD at the Tufts School of Medicine, I spent 6 years at the Medical University of South Carolina training in orthopaedic surgery. I returned to Boston for Fellowship training in Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital. There, I saw a tremendous breadth of conditions affecting adults and children. My particular surgical interests include hand, wrist and elbow arthritis as well as bone and soft tissue trauma in the upper extremity. I have excellent experience and training in both open and arthroscopic treatment methods. I also have a particular interest in peripheral nerve disorders, including compression syndromes such as carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome, and have a large amount of experience with peripheral nerve repairs and grafting. When indicated, I always try to implement non-operative treatment methods before resorting to surgery.
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling, swimming, running, and photography.
- Tufts University – BA 2004
- Tufts University School of Medicine – MD 2008
- Medical University of South Carolina – Orthopaedic Surgery Residency 2008 – 2013, Chief Resident 2014
- Mass General Hospital, Boston – Fellowship in Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery 2015
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery – 2017
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand - 2018
Peer Reviewed Manuscripts
- Hartsock LA, Demos HA, Horst TA, Netto AP; and Barfield WR: Use of cortical strut allograft in periprosthetic femur fractures. In Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal. Edited, 2014.
- Horst TA, Mooney III, JF, Hooker JA, Barfield WR, and Glaser JA. Comparison of Intraoperative C-Arm Fluoroscopy to Postoperative Radiographs in Operative Fracture Fixation. J Surg Orthop Adv, 24(3): 180-183, 2015.
- Ring D, and Horst TA. Coronoid Fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 29(10): 437-440, 2015.
- Horst TA, and Jupiter JB. Stabilization of distal radius fractures: Lessons learned and future directions. Injury, 47(2): 313-319, 2016.
- Bowman S, Horst TA, Kokko KP; and Angermeier EA: Patient Attitudes Toward Local Anesthesia With or Without Sedation for Minor Hand Procedures. Accepted for publication J Surg Orthop Adv, 27(4):317-320, 2018.
- Daly MC, Horst TA, Mudgal CS. Dorsal Cortical Breaks in Volar Barton Distal Radius Fractures. Hand, 16(3):303-309, 2021
- Horst TA, Ring DC and Jupiter JB. “Radius and Ulna Diaphyseal Fractures.” Musculoskeletal Trauma in the Elderly, edited by Charles M. Court-Brown et al., CRC Press, 2017.